Several neighbours have commented that rats are now being seen in their gardens. This has not been a visible problem until recently. It may be the result of houses being demolished where rat runs have been disturbed. The following advice has been obtained:
Please ensure that no food waste is
- left in the garden from outdoor eating,
- scattered for birds, foxes etc;
- that only garden waste is put into compost bins, not kitchen waste (banana skins, apple cores, fruit peelings etc attract rats into compost bins);
- that all kitchen waste is green-bagged and put into the brown recycling bin for weekly collection;
- that external drains are clean i.e. water runs freely from waste disposal units.
If you have a serious problem, please seek professional advice.